Saturday 18 July 2020

Westward bound today

What started out as an easy stroll on a hot day (around 33C or 92F), without warning, became a 5-hour ruck.  I kept going west, and by the time I decided to turn back, I had already gone just about 2.5 hours.  I brought two liters of liquid (1 of gatorade and 1 of water) but I still had to stop and get a drink from a store.  And in the end I still managed to lose 5 pounds due to sweating.  I'm sure they will all come back after I drink 10 Diet Cokes...

Anyway, as I was saying, I headed west, for no particular reason.  Passed by the War Museum again, and saw this


See the white things on the grass?  Those are Canadian seagulls doing social distance!  Typically Canadian, eh?

Turns out that they close off some lanes of the Sir John A MacDonald Parkway (which is large road that goes along the banks of the Ottawa River on the Ontario side) so people can walk, run, bike, etc. on weekends.  Nice.  That's probably why I kept going...


You probably get a sense that there are very many bridges in the area, what with the Ottawa River, the Rideau River, and the Rideau Canal crisscrossing everywhere.  I have no idea what this bridge is called, but it's purely a railroad bridge and it's not used anymore.  Sort of reminds me of the scene in Stand By Me.  It crosses the Ottawa River, and the buildings on the other side are in Quebec.


Further along I came across a place called Remic Rapids, and there's a rock sculpture garden.  It's quite pretty.  It is apparently quite well known, and is the result of some international rock balancing festival a few years back (I think).  There's even a Youtube thing about it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tktz9VjFnGU 
Check it out!

Well, I kept going, and came upon Westboro Beach.  I thought it would be large piece of real estate, but it's really just a couple hundred feet of sand bordering the Ottawa River. Didn't even take any pictures of it.  Some people were sunbathing and stuff, but surprisingly on a hot Saturday it wasn't packed with people.   I think people in Ottawa in general are very good at following rules.  After all, most of them are federal government employees and they are the ones who make the rules, so...  :)

Kept going a bit more, but the scenery didn't change much afterwards, so I didn't take more pictures.  I had thought about going to Britannia Beach further west, but decided against it since I was getting rather tired.  Maybe on a future expedition I will make it there!  Anyhow, it's been exhausting.  Hope you like the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.