Friday 17 July 2020

Some new pics

I was quite exhausted today, so I decided to take it easy and do a slow two-hour stroll around town.  The humidity didn't help, though, and I came back from it more worn out than before.  Oh well, at least it helped kill a couple of hours.

Took some new pics and I thought I'd share them here, and lead you through another one of Chunski's wandering picture show.  Here goes, in the order I came upon them today.


I started the trip by going on to campus, and here is the administrative building, Tabaret Hall.  It's the Alpha Hall (for Etown references) or Main Hall (for SNC references) of UOttawa.  Looks pretty grand, what with Greek columns and such.  The building is closed, so I can't show you the interior.  But it has a rotunda inside which is quite pretty.


Further along, here's the Department of Theatre (the theatre itself is across the street, housed alongside the Ottawa Art Gallery). Next to it, the smaller beige building, is an administrative building for graduate studies.

After that, I left campus and headed towards downtown.


A few minutes off campus we have the Shaw Centre, which is Ottawa's main convention space.  I've never been inside, but it looks quite high-tech.  At night, they have some colour lights inside, which shine through the glass walls.  Neat.  The taller building behind in is Westin.  In front of the Shaw Centre is the Canal.  The next pic shows it better.


This pic doesn't show the Shaw Centre, which is off the frame on your right.  The bridge across the canal is the Plaza Bridge, which was built in 1912 (which replaces previous bridges which had collapsed over time).  You can see the Chateau Laurier, the castle-looking thing, arguable the best hotel in Ottawa.  Right in front of it is the Senate Building, which was once a main train station. It went through extensive renovations, so I guess it's quite nice inside.

Crossing the Plaza Bridge you'd see the Parliament buildings.  See that copper dome thing?  And the green roofs?  They are in the process of refurbishing the Parliament buildings.  And just to your left, if you look back along the canal, there's the National Arts Centre and its patio restaurant along the canal.


Shortly we come across the Lord Elgin Hotel, which is a rather recent hotel built in 1941.  Its original aim was to compete with the Chateau Laurier (hahahahahahahaha).  Anyway, it is named after Lord Elgin, the first Governor General of Canada.  The hotel has yet to reopen after the closure due to Covid 19.



On my way home, I see this condo again.  This is by far my favourite condo in Ottawa.  It's called The Merit.  I almost half expect Hercule Poirot to come out of it.  It's really a stunning.  If I were to buy a condo, I'd love to have this.  But the average price is over a million, so....



Remember the picture I showed you a few days ago with the algae in the canal?  And I said the city is in the process of getting rid of them?  Well, here's one of the machines in action.  But since the canal is some 120 miles long, it will take some time though....

OK, well, that's all, folks.  I'll see what else I can find next time!  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.