Monday 20 July 2020

Crossing to the Undiscovered Country

For the first time my walk took me across to Quebec.  I've been avoiding that, for personal reasons, but today I decided to take the plunge and do a detour into the Quebec side.  It was a relatively short ruck today, and it took just two and a half hours.  Funny how things changed, too.  When this whole lock down thing started, I did an hour and a bit, and anything approaching two hours would be a very long walk.  Now, when I feel like resting, I'd do two hours.  Anyway, compared to my five hour debacle on Saturday, it was a breeze today.

I went up to Rideau Hall and then onto Sussex, and came upon this


This is the Canada Research Council, the institution which gives government grants to people doing research work.  Many moons ago, when doing my PhD, I had applied to them for a grant.  And they turned me down.  Oh well, no grudges :)  Pretty impressive edifice, no?

And as I continued on Sussex, I was at the MacDonald-Cartier Bridge again (remember I showed a pic of it a few days ago).  Today I decided to venture over to the Quebec side, so


It's like going into foreign lands.  Notice how all the signs are in French?  Not in Kansas anymore.

I crossed over, and did a little loop on the Voyageurs Pathway, with a view of Ontario back across the Ottawa River.  Then I went through Gatineau a bit, planning to go back to Ontario (i.e. civilization) via the Alexandra Bridge.

And just at the foot of the bridge, still in Quebec, was the Canadian Museum of History.  It's closed now, due to Covid, but here's a video of the building itself.


Heading up Alexandra Bridge to go back to Ontario.  It offers pretty neat view of Ottawa.


On your left, the castle thing is Chateau Laurier.  Right next to it you can see the Rideau Canal coming down to the Ottawa River.  The canal was built in 1832, mainly for military purposes, since Canada was still fearing another American invasion following the War of 1812.  Now it's for pleasure boats and what not.  You can see, if you look very closely, a boat coming down on the canal.

Next to the canal is the Parliament building.


Once safely back in Ontario, here's a view of the bridge and the Museum of History on the Quebec side.

Continuing on, I came to the Canadian National Art Gallery, with a spider monstrosity outside the entrance.


You can see the egg basket thing under its belly too.  Pretty gross.  Kinda like some alien space invader.

Right across the Gallery is the Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica, which was originally built in the mid 19th century but was restored in the late 20th century.


After that, it was time to head home.  And to stretch!  Till next time!

2 comments:

  1. War of the Worlds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book or movie? And if the latter, which version? :)

      Delete

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.