Monday 13 July 2020

Sights from today's ruck

Since school is out, I don't have much to share that's related to academic stuff.  So I thought instead I'd share some of the things I see regularly on my rucks.  Previously I did a run of embassy pics.  Well, that ran its course.  Today I passed by some places that I never show you pictures of, so maybe it's time I did.

These following pics I took on my ruck today.  I am putting them here in the order I came across them on my route.  Weather was nice, and it wasn't too hot.  So I did a three hour trip.  Maybe you can even plot out my course, at least roughly, if you follow it on a map...


This is the Minto Bridge, which was built around 1900.  It crosses the Rideau River (not the canal).  In the background you see a brown lego block building.  That's the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  The pyramid looking thing and the big antenna you see are part of the secondary building of the Ministry.  This is a cool bridge, and has a lot of history.

Once crossing the bridge, and directly across from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, we have this monument constructed to commemorate the Canadian soldiers who fought in the defence of Hong Kong in 1941.  Almost two thousand Canadians fought there, and were killed or captured as Hong Kong fell.  It brings a lot of emotions every time I pass by this monument.


The Macdonald-Cartier Bridge, connecting Ottawa with Gatineau, and traverses the Ottawa River.  This view is from the Ottawa side, looking over to Gatineau (which is in Quebec).  BTW, Macdonal and Cartier were two of the "founding fathers" of Canada.  And Macdonald was our first Prime Minister.

 You can see the Alexandra Bridge, another one that connects Ottawa with Gatineau, and it also crosses the Ottawa River.  Built at the end of the 19th century as a railroad bridge, it is now a major vehicular and pedestrian bridge connecting the two provinces.  The high rise buildings you can on your right are offices in Gatineau, mainly Federal Government buildings.


Passing the Alexandra Bridge, I hang a right by the Fairmont Chateau Laurier, pass parliament, and then I come to the Supreme Court of Canada.  No more need to be said, I suppose.  Not too grandiose, but it has a certain solemness.  Very nice architecture inside as well.


Continuing on, pass the National Library and Archives, is another bridge that connect Ottawa and Gatineau.  You see the street lights?  That's the bridge.  It's called Portage Bridge, and was built in the mid 1970s.  Nothing much to say about it, other than it's one of many bridges connecting the two cities.  Gatineau, in case you don't sense it by now, is pretty much a bedroom community for Ottawa, and also a location for myriad federal government offices (likely to appease the Francos).


Getting rather tired now.  But can't help coming over here to show you the Canadian War Museum.  Doesn't it look like the alien spaceship in Independence Day???  Seriously!  It's a really cool museum.  If you ever visit Ottawa, I highly recommend it.

And so turning back on a homeward leg.


This is the old Waterworks building.  I can't find much about it, but it's an old building which was EXTENDED in the 19th century!  Looks so cool I just have to show it to you.  See that little water fountain in the foreground?  It's so cute.

Anyway, getting hot and bothered, so I head back through downtown on my way home.


OK, so sue me.  Not much of a photographer am I.  This is a view of the Laurier Bridge which spans the Rideau Canal, connecting downtown with University of Ottawa.  The building you see in the background is part of the Department of National Defence.  Laurier, by the way, is named after Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Canada's 7th Prime Minister.


This is taken from the Corktown Footbridge, which spans the Rideau Canal.  It's for pedestrians only, and is a convenient to get to and from campus from downtown.  See those locks?  I guess people thought they were in Paris or something.  In the distance you can see a castle.  That's the Fairmont Chateau Laurier, one of my favourite hotels.  And the Laurier Bridge can also be seen.


This is another view of the Corktown Footbridge.  The building in the background is the Faculty of Social Sciences.  See the Rideau Canal at the bottom?

Well, almost there! 


On the other side of the canal, right on campus, you come to the UOttawa light rail station.  It only started running last year.

And so as I keep going towards home, I come across one more footbridge.


This is the Adawe Crossing Bridge, which spans the Rideau River.  It's for pedestrians and cyclists only, and it's my typical route to cross the river to get to campus.

And shortly after, I am home!

I hope you've enjoyed this little tour.  Don't you feel as if you were me on my ruck today?

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.