Sunday 26 July 2020

Too hot for a real ruck

It's 34 C today!  That's like 93 F.  Man, I took just an easy stroll for two hours, and I thought I was in the broiler.  Broiled Chunski!

Don't have a lot of new stuff to show you, but take a look at some of these:






OK, I know what you're thinking.  What?  Some grey concrete thing?  Nah, this is cool, my friends.  It was built around 1938 (?) and is the Hunter Building, which apparently contains a lot of telephone switching mechanisms for the downtown area.  It doesn't look much now, but once it was quite the gem.  In the deco style.  I found this online, so you can see what it was like in its better days.


Pretty neat, right?  I confess, I am a sucker for the art deco era.  So...

Anyway, I don't think I ever showed you pics of the Bank of Canada, so here goes:


Here is the Bank of Canada.  It occupies an entire city block downtown.  The museum thing can be interesting, and I will go visit one day when things reopen.  See the glass tower behind?  And then behind the original building, and behind THAT another glass tower.

Let me show you another angle.


You know me, I like the old stuff better.  I mean, glass towers are so bland.  This original building is quite neat.  You should see the door.  Man, the whole point is to give a sense of security, I guess.  In case you're wondering, the Bank of Canada is like the Fed in the US.
Both established during the Great Depression.

Talking about old stuff, I passed by this one today.



This used to be the Ottawa Jail, built in the 19th century and discontinued around the 1970s.  Nowadays it's a hostel, and you can claim you have stayed in a jail!  It's actually open for business right now, despite the virus thing.  Not my cup of tea, but hey, a bit of history there!

And right next to it is the Ottawa Art Gallery.


I think I mentioned it before.  It's free admission.  Pretty cool if you're into art.  See that Labo building, the grey cube thing in front?  That's the UOttawa theatre!  Never been.  Maybe one day when they have interesting performances, I might go check it out!  The tall building behind it is the Le Germain Hotel (and some condos above).  Pretty fancy.

Well, that's that on a hot day.  Can you feel the steam coming off those pictures?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping the tour de Ottawa going despite the heat! I’m always fond of the old buildings. The architecture and design behind them was something that I doubt we’ll ever see again. Whenever we let you back into the country and you have some free time, Newport RI is definitely worth a few days. With the vanderbilts, carnegies and many other gilded age millionaires built these opulent mansions there. Wife and I only got to tour one on a short trip there last fall, but it’s on our short list of places to go back to when the boys old enough to behave.

    Hope you’re well up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Blue, thanks! Yeah, we did the RI tour a few years back and really enjoyed it. Kinda reminded me of the Great Gatsby, you know. One day maybe I will build a mansion like those, too! Right! Haha. I'm glad you enjoy the pics I have been posting. This lockdown if nothing else has given me a chance to see so much of Ottawa. Pretty neat in that respect. Stay well!!!

    ReplyDelete

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.