Thursday 2 May 2019

One Year Done

Wow, the school year went by very quickly.  It seems just a little while ago when I started my undergraduate adventure at University of Ottawa.  The two semesters have come and gone.  Just like that.  It's been great.  I feel so fortunate to have had this opportunity to do something just for the sake of it.  What a nice change of pace.

For the first time in my life, I actually cared about my studies.  When grades don't really matter at all, I suddenly want to see just how well I can do.  I have taken a variety of courses, and by and large I have really enjoyed myself.

What did I take this past year?

Two French courses.
Principles of Sociology
Principles of Anthropology
Horror Fiction
History of Canada
History of US post WW2
World History post WW2
Diversity in Canada

I registered for a Sociology of the Family course, but some of you may remember that I dropped that class because the prof hates men.  At least she seems to hate me.  So this past semester I took a lighter load, with only four courses.

To have the luxury to take this range of courses, to just learn for the sake of learning, that's priceless.  And for the first time in heavens know how many years, I am learning something absolutely non-business.  A breath of fresh air.

Courses for next fall aren't out yet, so I don't know for sure what I'll be taking.  History-heavy, I would think.  Maybe a French.  Apart from that, I'll know later as the summer progresses.

Got an interesting email with a potential job for the next school year.  The Faculty of Arts is looking for student mentors.  I don't know if they sent the email out to everyone, but I was asked to apply.  Thinking about it.  Should I?  Me?  A STUDENT mentor?  Will surely be interesting.  Don't know how well I can relate to these youngsters, and how well they will relate to me.  And will they take one look at my resume and say, nevermind?  Hmmmmmm.

Some things I have learned as a student:

1.  Go to class
2.  Read ahead of the class
3.  Pay attention
4.  Review early and often
5.  Remember:  you only have to do better than most others.  Don't sweat it
6.  Avoid study groups
7.  Take advantage of free food events
8.  Find worthy causes to help and support
9.  Look out for freebies and take them
10.  Make use of student discounts
11.  Talk to profs and TAs, that's what they are here for
12.  Don't assume you know what an assignment entails.  Ask!

I made that last mistake.  There's this assignment I had to do, and it's worth 30% of the grades.  I did it the way I thought it should be done.  Trouble is, I am not the one grading it.  Don't do this again.  That costed me an A!  FUCK!  And I have no one to blame but myself.

School's out.  I can't wait for the new school year to start!  Have a good summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.