Monday 20 May 2019

On Cultural Appropriation and other PC stuff

If you actually read this, you probably know Chunski reasonably well.  And you would no doubt know that political correctness is not one of Chunski's strong suits.  Not that I seek to offend people, but I think people are too easily offended these days.

Take cultural appropriation.  Person A does something that is not distinctively from her/his ethnicity, there results an outcry of cultural appropriation.  Take this latest incident reported in The Globe and Mail https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/music/article-tanya-tagaq-other-inuit-singers-boycotting-2019-indigenous-music/?fbclid=IwAR35tpRt7CQIOzX2rHcGXV9VbUNF6srzbsh43A79OSfLY2NLe_gOGu_520U

I suppose if a non-Chinese dresses up as Confucius or something, that would be cultural appropriation?  Or a white guy/gal with an braids would be called out for the same thing.  And in the reported case, a Cree singing the Inuit way was boycotted and trashed.

OK, so how about me wearing jeans and t-shirt?  Or eating with knife and fork?  Or reading and writing poetry in English?  Or how about if I played the guitar?  And what happens when a person of Hispanic descent eats sushi?  Or, make sushi for that matter?  I have a million such questions to ask.  I think I am just confused.

Now of course shit like black face, the slanted eye Charlie Chan, the Cleveland Indians, the McGill Redmen, and other crap of that nature is bullshit.  And we are right to condemn them. But I'm not entirely convinced about cultural appropriation claims.

What are your thoughts? 

Is THIS cultural appropriation?  Do superheroes have their own culture?

 Image result for snoopy dressed up halloween
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.