Thursday 6 August 2020

Strategies Emerge

Feeling rather low in energy, I decided to go for a short walk today.  Four hours later I got home.  If I need proof that strategies emerge, this certainly qualifies.


You might remember the bridge in the distance.  It's the Flora bridge again.  I was going down Queen Elizabeth Driveway, which they have blocked off everyday 8-8 to let pedestrians and cyclists use it free of car traffic.  Notice the empty road on the right of your screen?  That's the QED.  Anyway, this is along the Rideau Canal, and there's also a path right alongside it.  Very pretty it is.

Well, I kept going for reasons unknown, and I ended up here:


This is one of the locks of the Rideau Canal.  It is right next to Carleton University, and connects to Dow's Lake (remember?).  Pretty neat.  You can see the boats up there waiting to come down the canal.  Sometimes you can see dozens of boats on both sides.  Quite a traffic jam at times.

I crossed over to the other side of the canal, and found myself in the Dominion Arboretum!  It's part of a large area which includes the experimental farm, a wildlife refuge, an ornamental garden, and so on.  Here are some pics:



Quite pretty, isn't it?  I walked around the arboretum and soon found myself lost somewhere.  And I looked up, and realized I was at the foot of a small hill.


See the kids going up the hill?  Should I?  What if I roll back down the damn thing?  After a 30-second debate,


Actually it got rather iffy half way up.  I felt my backpack dragging me down, as if I was about to flip over and fall down the hill.  But fortunately I made it up, and was graced by this view.  How do you like my heavy breathing?  Haha.  You can see Dow's Lake from here.  The tall building you see on your right is one of Carleton University's building.  I think it's where their business school is, but I'm not sure.

After this I began to find my way back.  What started out as a brief stroll turned into a walk that took almost four hours.  But what a nice day to do it though!

4 comments:

  1. you sound like Darth Vader :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! More like Death Vader. It was exhausting, that climb up the hill!

      Delete
  2. Glad you made it home alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It's all the Diet Coke I drink. They make me bullet proof!

      Delete

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.