Tuesday 26 May 2020

Registration Done!

The system was a bit slow this morning with massive sign-ons.  I did manage to get a schedule together though, and at least I have registered for courses.  These are likely not the final version, since I do have a tendency to keep searching etc.  But, as promised, here's what I signed up for:

Fall:

The Cold War
Greek Mythology
General Public Law
Greek Philosophy
Religion, spirituality, and secularism


Winter:

FDR presidency
Legal Theory and Social Sciences
History of East Asia from 1600
The World's Languages
International Relations and Global Politics


Quite a mix bag, eh?  Well, let's see what changes I will make to this before school starts.

****************************************************


I haven't been volunteering at the Mission since this virus outbreak.  It's probably not a good idea, since it's a confined space and I'm "older."  But they probably could use the help these days.  Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

In summers I tend to do a lot of reading.  So far, this has been a listless summer, however.  It's hard to focus on reading.  Apart from burning hours with my rucking and working out at home, I have been doing a series of online mini courses from Harvard X.  It's free if I just audit and don't want a certificate (which I don't).  They are great.  Last year I did a course on Hamlet and one on Start Trek.  So far this summer, I've been very active with it, having completed almost 10 of their China History and Civilization courses (will finish the last one this week, I think).

I highly recommend Harvard X.  They pull together the intellectual pool from their faculty, and you can learn from these world class experts on subjects, all for free.  If you are interested,  you can find them on edx.org

They (actually MIT in this case) has come up with Star Trek parts II and III.  Might do them after this.  Will let you know!

As for reading, well, as I said, it's been very slow.  So far, I have re-read The Stand (appropriately), The British Empire, Shakespeare on Tyrants, and a book on Social Demography.  What have you been reading so far?  Anything interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.