Friday 27 March 2020

Raised by Wolves, and Other Random Things

Just saw this post today, and those who know me will certainly know how I feel:

This post appears on the student FB page for UOttawa:

"If your writing the midterm for PSY1102 with Emerson tomorrow msg me!"


If it were up to me, I'd fail this person on principle.  I don't think I need to elaborate.

***************************************************************

UOttawa has surprisingly relaxed its strict academic integrity policies to help students lessen their stress levels during this crisis.

They announced that for this semester,

1.  We can choose to not write the final exam.
2.  If we do write it, it will not hurt our grades.  We will get the better of the overall grade including the final,or the one excluding the final.
3.  And if we are still not happy with THAT grade, we can opt to have it P/F (which is NEVER an option at UO).  Now of course if the grade is a failing grade, then it's not going to help.
4.  All final papers/projects get a one week extension automatically.


That's pretty sweet, eh?  I think that helps people a lot during this unusual time.  I don't know about others, but it's quite hard to focus on school stuff with all this shit going on. 

*****************************************************************

Hey, please check your basements, garages, etc., to see if you have any protective gear lying around.  Found some masks today which I took to the local hospital.  Healthcare workers need those.  You, unless you're sick, DON'T.  Help out those on the frontline!  :)

******************************************************************

Is this social distance thing getting to you, too?  It's hard, eh?  I mean, there's only so many times one can watch and rewatch Stranger Things.  So how are you handling it?  Wanna share some ideas?

****************************************************************

Where you live, are people hoarding (of all things) toilet paper too?  I wonder what they are going to do with 100 rolls of toilet paper at home.  Sigh.  I thought we'd be a bit more intelligent than that.

OK, signing off for now.  Hope all is well with you.  Stay healthy, and STAY AWAY!




2 comments:

  1. The whole education system from preschools through post grad is in a world of disarray right now. Who I feel the most for is those without the technology to make learning happen(computer/tablet of course, but what about internet?!?! Not just inner city people but those out in the middle of nowhere too) and those who’s parents/guardians are front line workers and can’t do the education piece. My moms a nurse with full custody of my 9 year old niece and is having one hell of a time as a 55+ parent trying to work a full day then come home and help her with her school work. I also think to those parents (like my other brother) who grew up with learning disabilities and still is reading on a middle school level. How would these types of parents be able to help their own children learn when they themselves still have difficulty learning.

    Lots of real problems and I’m very curious to see how this affects society as a whole. Will you be in 2.5 grade when going back to school, will there be no summer vacation (how will the unions like that), will this finally shake out some higher ed institutions who were marginally getting by (PA’s state system of higher ed is a mess, small liberal art colleges who’ve taken their focus away from programs that drive dollars and are pushing out great profs ;) ,etc), will this FINALLY open the eyes to today’s society as to what an “in demand” career field is?

    The whole social distancing thing is being taken so very lightly. It’s amazing how people just don’t get it. While we’re a society driven by social interaction (I think you may know a thing or two on this Chung), it’s been very hard on everyone. I just finished my first week working from home and while I have my wife and newborn son at home, it’s not the same. As an outside sales manager, I’m used to regular social interaction. To not have that and to be staring at a computer screen with no one willing to schedule meetings or even respond to emails is isolating and lonely. We’ve been able to walk and the one positive note is how friendly and conversational everyone is. I’ve talked to more neighborhood people (from 6 ft or more away) than we have in the first three years living here.

    One thing I’m sure around the country and world is, perhaps, people’s houses are cleaner, more laundry is done and those stupid little projects you’ve put off are getting done.

    I hope when this all turns around and the markets rebound, we see a society in North American that realizes its life sustaining dependence on a country like China for EVERYTHING and we (USMCA) take the controls back.

    So I ranted there, sorry! But my wife’s tired of hearing me spout off on these and more. Have a great day up north Ed and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue, I can't agree with you more. I have so many issues with this whole online education stuff to begin with, and you're bang on about those who don't necessarily have access to the technology etc. I tell ya, for first world countries, we have pretty much ignored large segments of the population that might still be in third world conditions.
      And this social interaction thing? Yeah, I hear you. We ARE social animals. And while we can still go out for walks etc., it's not the same, is it? I miss going to class and saying hi to people, chatting about this or that, or interacting in class either. Or going to a restaurant, the gym, etc and be with people. You're right, it's very unnatural to be so isolated. Like in prison except it's a very large prison and we live in comfort. At least thank goodness we're not (yet) like in some other countries where you can't even leave the house. Hope it won't come to that.
      And this reliance on other countries making shit for us? Well you know how I feel about that. It's this whole globalization thing, all in the name of profits so multinationals can make billions and screw the little guys. Now it's coming back to bite us. We can't even make some of the shit anymore! Damn. Maybe this will wake people up, but who knows.
      Hey, you take care too. Stay healthy. All this will pass, hopefully sooner than later. Be well!

      Delete

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.