Saturday 7 December 2019

Lady Beavers and Losing my email account

How about those Lady Beavers, eh?

8-0 now.  Just moved up two spots to #5.  Go Beavs!!!!

 
*********************************************

When I left Etown, I had planned to switch from my etown email address to something else.  Redirect my various subscriptions, alert my contacts, save my stuff, and so on.  I was told, not to worry, you can keep it forever!

So nice of them.  I had been using that for 14 years, so it was a relief to know that I didn't need to switch.  And so I kept using it.

Year and a half on, I received a letter in the mail.  Snail mail, yes.  Not electronic, though it pertained to my email.  Ironic.  The college has decided to rid their email accounts of retirees.

Why?  Because it's hard for the college to monitor and enforce whether retirees use proper security protocols to prevent hacking and other bad things.  What is left unsaid of course is an assumption that somehow the college can manage to monitor and enforce whether current employees and students use proper security.  Knowing some of my former colleagues, I doubt if they knew what internet security is even if it hits them in the face.

Funny little thing, too, is that Rider in her letter even said, oh but we would love to hear from you, so be sure to tell your NEW email address.

Fuck that.

Anyway, just so you know, my old etown address will no longer work come January.  If you want to keep in touch via email, please shoot me an email and I will send you a reply using a different email.  How's that?

**************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.