Monday 2 December 2019

A Whole New Appreciation

When I first went to college, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I really didn't give it much thought.  Yes, there was work and projects, and there were deadlines and such.  But the four years went by rather quickly, without much of a hitch.  Computer games, especially "Star Trek," occupied most of my time, and Hockey Night in Canada took care of the rest.  It was all fun and games.

Anyway, fast forward to now.  In the last couple of years I have met some fellow students.  Some are really horrid students, but they just carry on and be happy.  But some seem to be having a real tough going.

I know this guy, let's call him Adam, he's really having mental distress over the deadlines and stuff.  One can say, well, maybe he should have started sooner, and not let the deadlines hang over him.  But different people have different styles, I suppose.  And writing essays and stuff apparently is not a very "natural" thing for some folks.

Adam had this paper due about ten days ago, on a Friday.  When I saw him on Wednesday, he had written a total of four pages.  And the following Monday he had another one due, and he had not even started on that one the week before.  And so on.

Apparently he is so stressed out that he had to leave campus today.  Couldn't bear being there.  So he texted me and asked me to send him the notes for today.  

This gives me a pretty "front line" observation of how rough things could be for some.  College is not always a joy ride.  

I think, though, that in many respects, high schools are not doing their job.  I really don't think most high schools adequately prepare people for college.  For the kind of rigour demanded in college.  For the kind of mindset one needs.  Forgive me for being old fashioned.  I think high school is too fucking easy.

So I hope Adam rides it out and manages to navigate through his issues.  I wish there were something I can do to help.  I asked him if I could help, but he said no.  What else can I do?

And for all the other Adams (and Eves) like him, I hope they manage to pull through too.  Pretty sobering thought today.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.