Sunday 15 December 2019

Another Semester Done

The other night I went with a friend to the dining hall for dinner.  $16.50 all you can eat.  What a deal (you may recall how much I enjoy that place).  Anyway, at the entrance, the lady asked my friend (a girl), "Is he your father?"

Haha!  It would be so embarrassing if I were trying to date the girl.  What is this pedophile doing?

When I told her no, she got so embarrassed.  It's quite funny.  Good thing I have no such interest.  I can just imagine...

************************************** 

Well, dear friends, tomorrow is when my last take home is due, and this semester officially ends.  Can you believe I've been doing this school thing for three semesters now?

I had started out thinking I would take the entire four years to finish the degree.  I do have that option, since it's up to me to use my advanced standing credits or not.  But then I found out that while I can take course that "don't count," they do weigh into my GPA.  So for instance, if I took an Introduction to Funny Mushrooms 101 course, which won't count towards graduation, the grade I get in it will be part of my GPA.  So I end up with a B, say, then that B goes into my GPA.  And could work against me.  Of course, if I get an A+, it works to my advantage too, but that means unless I get an A+ in EVERY one of those courses, my GPA goes down.

Anyway, so that's why I decided I would take the advanced standings and finish in three years instead.  Officially, then, or well, technically, I am half way done!

This semester I had started thinking I might be able to end up with all A+.  As the semester progressed I thought maybe more realistically, I'd get two A+ and two As.  Now at the end of the semester, I am hoping for one A+, and really hope to be able to keep an A in the rest.  But I won't know for a while yet.

Lemme tell you, this A+ business is not as easy as I thought/hoped.  I suppose on the one hand I am gratified to know that so far, in every course I have taken, the class average has been around C/C+.  Grade inflation has not been a very big deal here, it seems.

OTOH, that just makes the A+ so much more difficult to get.  I need an average between an A and an A- to keep my scholarship.  While that is not that hard to reach, wanting a predominance of A+ would seem quite a challenge.

So, to all those UOttawa students who achieved GPAs between A+ and A, kudos to you.

*********************************************

And hey, how about those Lady Beavers again?  9-0!  And now #4 in the country!

And the men are doing okay too, at 8-1, though they are unranked.

************************************************

Speaking of ranking, Times Higher Education has placed UOttawa law school at #92 in the world.  That's pretty cool.  It also means UO law school is number 5 in Canada!  Incidentally, U Toronto is first in Canada at #10, and McGill is second at #20.

Why am I telling you this?  Well, remember I told you a while back that I might try law school after this?  Well, if I do, it would only be UOttawa that I would try.  Not keen to leave Ottawa.  But then I thought, hell, even at UOttawa, law school tuition is 20K a year.  I am going to spend that kind of money on something for fun?  I could instead take a long trip to the UK every year, staying at the Savoy, dining at Gordon Ramsay...  you know what I mean.  So I doubt that I will do the law school thing.  Will still take the LSAT though, since I already paid for it...

********************************************

I think winter is finally having its revenge.  We've had pretty mild weather the last few days.  Today we will get a windchill of -14, and it will get colder as the week progresses.  Time to bring out my real winter jackets!

*******************************************

OK, till my next drunken stupor then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.