Tuesday 6 November 2018

When an educated mind becomes constipated

I've been noticing this phenomenon among the college crowd.  Of course, I am merely looking at this from my own perspective, and I might be missing a lot of the nuances that only the young can understand.  Anyway...

Cultural Appropriation.

Okay, I get it.  I, too, think it's not a laughing matter for someone to say, dress up as an Indian Chief at Halloween, especially when one is not an Indigenous person.  Or, for that matter, for a black person to dress up as oh, I don't know, Charlie Chan?

I get it that it's offensive if someone takes my culture and treats it as a joke.  Us Klingons are mighty sensitive when it comes to such things.

But now on college campuses, you hear people say things like, "what right does some middle-aged white woman have to go and "study the culture" of some African tribe?  That's just colonialism and arrogance."

Come again?

Are we saying that only someone who's say, Japanese, can study Japanese culture, or history, or whatever the fuck it is that's Japanese?

And someone has to be a Klingon to study Klingon customs?

Seriously?

Here are a couple of problems I have with such nonsense.

First, it requires the researcher to be of a certain culture to study that culture.  Why?  Because only a person of culture X can actually understand culture X.  What the FUCK!

I am Chinese by descent.  If you REALLY know me, do you think I have some kind of unique and privileged insight into Chinese culture?  Or Chinese history.

By the way, artifacts can substantiate (through carbon dating) 4,000 years of Chinese culture.  I know, they keep saying 5,000, but the first 1,000 has no artifacts to back up. But that's another story.  Anyway, so how is anyone supposed to study any history prior to the 20th Century?

No one around today was born before 1900.  No?  Who gives a person born after 1900 the right to study and report and analysis what happened before 1900?  Is that not appropriation?

Anyone still around who was there when the Declaration of Independence was signed?  No?  That I guess we can't actually study that.

Fucking bullshit.

Second, are we implicitly suggesting then that all persons of culture X (However one defines that, by the way) are the same?  I mean, do all Klingons share the same insight and cultural appreciation of all other Klingons?  Because if they don't, then one Klingon's interpretation of some Klingon cultural nuance is no more valid that Snoopy's interpretation of it.

And if these fools who talk so loudly about it needing a Mohawk to study things Mohawk really analyzes what they are saying, they are actually saying that all Mohawks are the same.  And you know, I think that's infinitely worse, misinformed, ridiculous, CONSTIPATED, than cultural appropriation.

I just wish people would stop and think about what they are saying before they fucking say it.  MORONS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.