Sunday 4 November 2018

Decisions, decisions

Dear Reader,
If you're reading this, I'd like to get your input to help me with a decision.

As you may know, I am in this Horror Fiction course.  Well, it's really more a literature course (as in high brow convoluted literary stuff) that deals with stuff that don't horrify anyone.  Anyhow, I don't even mind that.  I can go with the flow and learn something different.  Not a problem there.

Now, this is a second year literature class.  In my humble opinion, it should involve literary analysis, thereby taking us into the interpretive paradigm.  The way the prof goes about it, though, is her way or the highway.  Her interpretation, apparently, is the only valid one.  So much for thought process.

That, to me, is the real horror of the course.

Take for example the recent mid term exam.  You'd think a literature class would have essay exams, in which you interpret, support, analysis, and so on.  No?  Instead, we had T/F, MC, and one word answer questions.  I mean, really?  You don't even get that in high school!

Let me give you an example.  One of the questions was:

The monster in XYZ story is a bird.  T/F

Hell, there WAS a bird.  But to me, the bird was no more than the manifestation of the person's psychological state.  So was the monster the bird?  Or was it something else?  How can this be a T/F question?

Another example:

In the story ABC, all the aristocrats are portrayed as heartless people who only cared about fashion.  T/F

What?  Unless the story explicitly say "these people are all heartless and only care about fashion," wouldn't whatever conclusion one draws be merely one's interpretation?  What, pray, is HEARTLESS?  How do you define it?

Do you understand my frustration?

I don't know how I did on the midterm.  Probably an A-, I hope.  Who knows.  But that's beside the point.  Do I really want to sit through the rest of this BS?  

I have even written the term paper already.  So if I withdraw now, it's all going to waste.

And grade-wise, I am doing fine, I think.

So there are pros and cons.  I don't need this credit for anything.  Dropping it now won't change anything, but will save me the anguish of sitting through this class, or preparing for the final.

Keeping the class will force me to endure a few more weeks of this intellectual hibernation, but I will likely get a semi-respectable grade out of it, and I can continue to say I never back down from a challenge.

Give me your thoughts?

Thanks!

Chunski

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chunski,

    Sorry to hear that the class is BS. It sounds awful. I think you should drop the course. You'll still be able to say you never back down from a challenge because clearly this isn't a challenge. If you don't need the class for credit or for your major, then you should only do it if you get some sort of enjoyment out of it. If that is not the case, then it isn't worth further frustration or agony. Just my personal opinion. -Kira :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Kira! Thanks for your thoughtful comment :) I will think on that for a couple of days, and make a decision by the end of the week. Cheers, Chunski

      Delete

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.