Thursday 30 September 2021

Life After the MA?

Now that the semester got underway, my mind turns to what I'll do after this.  Assuming I finish it and pass, that is (more on that below).  Application starts now for next fall, so I've been considering what my options are.  Basically I have two, since I want to stay at uOttawa.

First, I can apply to do another undergrad, this time a Bach of Social Sciences, with two minors.

Second, I can opt to apply to do a Certificate in Law (non-degree).

Here are some more details.

The Faculty of Social Sciences has a degree option that does not entail a major or honours ( too restrictive, so I don't want to do them.  E.g.  A major requires 20 courses in the discipline, and an Honours degree requires 24.  Plus, there are numerous required courses etc.  Too much structure).  One of the minors must be in social science.  Since hopefully I will have an MA in sociology, I can't very well apply to do a minor in sociology.  Haha.  So I can do a minor in psychology, or perhaps one in Political Science.  The other doesn't have to be in Social Science, and will either be History (I just need 4 more, for a total of 10 for a minor), or in Law (for which I need 8 more).  Alternatively, I can opt for a BSS without any minor, but it's a shorter degree.

For the Certificate in Law, well, it's not a degree program, so you end up with a certificate.  Nothing wrong with that, since I need another degree like I need another hole in the head.  For that I need a total of 10 (same as a minor) but since I already have 2, I just need 8 more.  All must be in law though, so there's less variety.  I THINK I can still take other things, for the heck of it.  Not sure.  Anyhow, I can do this one PT though, so I can actually stretch it out.  And not have to worry about taking too many undergrad courses with a bunch of 18 year olds.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'd like to hear them.  Please share them with me!  Both sound quite interesting to me.

So that's the latest!  Now back to doing sociology... getting a bit too left wing for my taste :)


***************************

I said earlier, assuming I finish it and pass.  What did I mean by that?

As far as stuff specific to sociology goes, I'm fine with it, even if sometimes things get a bit strangely "out-of-this-world" left.  Learning a different perspective is not a bad thing.

But there are also some REQUIRED courses that I am not interested in.  They are research courses.  Ok, well, yeah it's been a while, but I did do research courses.  So a lot of this stuff is repetitive for me, and I don't think I am learning much that's new to me.  I think I am going to approach the academic administration people to see if there's some way these can be waived.  If not, I am one unhappy camper... hence my comment on finishing it.  Plus, haha, the prof I have now on research design REALLY SUCKS!

BTW I just emailed the School.  Will let you know how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.