Sunday 5 September 2021

A New School Year, A New Chapter

Folks,

After a long hiatus, school starts again.  This new school year marks a new chapter in my post-retirement adventure, now a graduate one.  As you know, I finished my undergraduate, and will now embark on an MA in sociology.  Wish me luck.

I have been rather ambivalent about this new phase.  Unaccountably I've been quite unmotivated.  Indeed till today I had harboured the idea of not even going through with it.  What changed?

I went on campus today (more on procedures for that later), and it's "welcome week" with all its companion activities.  The energy, the excitement, and the community feeling of the place cut through my mental haze.  The short sojourn through campus brought back a modicum of enthusiasm in me, and when I got home I started putting together my notebooks etc.  Interesting how quickly things changed.

Earlier I mentioned something about the procedures to get on campus.  You have to upload your vaccine records, and then EVERYDAY you have to fill in a screening app thing.  A bit tedious, yes, but in reality it only takes 2 minutes.  But unless there is some form of enforcement, what exactly is the point?  I am pragmatic by nature, so I often question the efficacy of any measure unless it is enforced.  Anyway, just thought I'd share that.

Today I went to my health club, with the view to empty my locker and give up the membership.  Then I chatted with the club manager, and instead of cancelling, I actually renewed it!  Talk about a change of heart.  We'll see if I end up regretting this.

Anyhow, classes start on Tuesday, right after Labour Day.  As it turns out, ALL my classes are online (unless they change it) even though the majority of the university's classes are in-person.  We'll see how that goes.  Not a fan of online stuff, as you well know.

I'm not sure if ANYONE even reads the blog anymore, especially since the email update is no longer available.  So, if you DO read it, or even just happen upon it, would you mind leaving a comment or emailing me to tell me so?  If no one is actually reading my blog, then I might simply abandon it.  So, please help!  Thanks :)

So much for now.  More once classes start up.  We'll see how my ever-switching mood evolves.

Ta-da!

4 comments:

  1. I do, and look forward to your posts. Thank you and best wishes with respect to a new year, in more ways than one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, A. And all the best to you as well.

      Delete
    2. Thought you gave up on the blog Chunski! Good to hear you powered through and found the glimmer of excitement and energy you were looking for!

      Also would be interested to know how they know if you’re actually doing your screening each time you come on campus. Also what is the ramifications if you don’t? Wonder if they have some kind of geofencing tech in place to find those rebels who don’t answer the questions.

      Good luck with everything!

      Delete
    3. Thought I'd give it another try! I don't know how they enforce it since there are over 50,000 students. They do it for those who stay in residence. That's easy. But for others, who knows?

      Delete

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.