Monday 21 December 2020

Heading Back into Lockdown

With cases surpassing 2,000 a day, Ontario has announced a renewed lockdown starting Boxing Day.  This will last four weeks.  Middle of winter, too.  It should be fun!  Although Ottawa itself has relatively few cases (30-ish for a population of 1MM), the fear is that people from Quebec and other parts of Ontario might come into Ottawa if we don't also lockdown.  So, here we go again!

Overall it doesn't really matter much to me, other than minor inconveniences like perhaps longer lines at supermarkets, no haircut, etc.  I have stopped going to the gym since the first lockdown anyway, and have not really returned.  And I don't go into malls in the best of times.  But it's the unavailability of it all, you know?

I don't know how things are where you live.  Actually, on a population of over 15MM in Ontario, 2,000 new cases a day is bad, but really rather good compared to many other jurisdictions (like Maryland, Wisconsin, or most US States for that matter).  Still, it's not a good trend.  Back in the summer we had it down to 1,000 a day or so.  Where is this all going to take us?

Folks, 2020 is a crap year.  I am happy to see it go to the dustbins of history.  But it's also unwarranted optimism that most of us have about 2021.  What makes me think that it will be any better, and not worse?  That optimism is probably more wishful thinking than anything else.  As I have frequently maintained, life sucks and then you die.  Well, at my age, as long it comes fast and painless, I really don't mind.  Bring me Soylent Green!

My exams are done now.  Semester is over.  And the new one is coming in a few weeks.  Already one of the profs has sent out his syllabus etc.  Oh well, another course with a 40% final exam and a 50% term paper.  Gonna fun :)

Wherever, and whoever, you are, I wish you all the best for the new year, and a happy (all things considered) holiday season.  Make the best of it, eh?  As they say, when life gives you lemons, make Whiskey Sour.


Snoopy Merry Christmas Image Quote Pictures, Photos, and ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.