Thursday 27 February 2020

Gathering my thoughts on a snowy day

The white stuff is really coming down now.  By the time it's done this afternoon, they are estimating between 10-15 inches of snow.  It will definitely make for a fun walk home from school later.  Good exercise for the heart, I suppose, assuming I don't drop dead from the hike first.

I have a midterm this afternoon (UOttawa has only closed for snow once in 28 years, so I won't hold my breath).  It's International Human Rights.  Interesting subject area, but I harbour major resistance to it.  The pragmatist in me keeps wondering, and arguing, that it's all meaningless.  Countries can sign on the UN Declaration of Human Rights and other conventions, but save for tiny inconsequential states, no consequence can ever fall on major countries if they violate any such conventions.  There is really no enforcement.  So what's the point?  Anyway, I am interested to see how the test will transpire.  There's so much stuff covered, and I'm not sure I remember that much of it....

For my demography course I have to do a research assignment on a territory of my choice.  I decided to do Hong Kong, since I already did a paper on it last term regarding the protests.  It's actually been quite enlightening.  It's due April 1.  Just finished a first draft of it the other day.  Not sure how it will go.  The requirement says 7-10 pages, excluding references and tables.  Well, I am at 24, all inclusive.  There must be 15 pages of text in it.  I don't know how one can do a remotely satisfactory demographic study of a place with only 7-10 pages of text.  Everyday I come up with more shit to throw in there.  It's been a very educational experience, and I think I have learned a lot more about the demographic realities of Hong Kong, and how that ties in with social realities, etc.  But it's been a bit of work.  Must have spent three whole days on it.

Since I have another year before I am done with this degree,  I have constantly thought about what to do next, as you know.  I have now narrowed it down to two options.  First, to pursue that Master's in Education as I mentioned before.  Second, to do another undergrad degree, this time in social sciences.  If I do that, it will be a minor in sociology, with a second minor in history, and a third minor in law.  Sounds ambitious?  A minor is 10 courses here.  But by the time I am done with my current degree I will likely have completed maybe 6 in sociology and 6 in history, so I just need to do four more of each.  Or something like that.  And the minor in law would allow me to dabble in it without actually going to law school (the courses are actual law school classes, so it can be fun).  Any thoughts?

I feel like I haven't studied enough for today's midterm.  Trouble is I am so resisting the material that I can't seem to absorb the stuff.  Maybe I will head to the gym earlier, and do some last minute refreshing before the midterm (it doesn't help that there's another class before the actual midterm).

Have a large striploin waiting for me in the fridge for after.  Hope I will still have appetite for it then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.