Monday 9 May 2022

Decision Made

For a while now I've been agonizing over the question of whether to stay in the MA program or to switch to the law program.  Well, I've now filed the paperwork to officially withdraw from the MA, so in the fall I will be enrolled in the law program.

What finally decided the issue?

As I've told you before, there's a paucity of course offerings in the summer (and I am technically required to stay enrolled in every semester).  So I registered for a course on Social Change.  Unfortunately it's taught by a prof I had as an undergrad, and I found him wanting.  It doesn't seem appropriate that I take another class with him.  After all, I am doing this for fun, and that guy is quite unacceptable.

But I still waited, hoping perhaps that the course offerings for next school year would be better.  The courses came out a couple of days ago, and they are the same offerings as this past year, taught by the same people.  So the good ones I already took, and the others were ones I didn't like or ones I dropped.  There's no point staying, is there?

I filed the paperwork this morning.

To clarify, I am not enrolling in law school.  No point in that either, since I am really interested in the technicalities of law.  This certificate in law program is a part time program, so I can just take one class at a time.  And the courses include a great many that are from a socio-historical perspective.  Just the sort of thing I get a kick out of.  Imagine a social science approach to legal matters.  As an added bonus, I can also enrol in other undergrad classes as long as I have the pre-reqs.  These non-law classes won't count towards the certificate, but that's ok.  And oh yes, the certificate is counted as an undergrad program.  Even the JD program is not considered a graduate program in Canada.  Only JDs who choose to teach consider themselves as having graduate degrees.  Wrongly so, but that's another story.  Sorry, Captain!

By the same token, MDs are not considered graduate degrees in Canada either.  So there.

So thanks for bearing with me as I agonized over the decision.  Now onwards to a different chapter.  Guess I should change the title of this blog back to Chunski's Undergraduate Adventures!

I should say, quite without any kind of humility, that I did manage to squeeze three A+ in the three MA courses that I did take. Haha.  For whatever that's worth.

***********************************

Bought a proper dutch oven the other day.  Finally gave in.  Pretty cool though.  Made a beef short rib dish with it, and then baked a loaf of bread as well.  Very versatile.  And so nice-looking.  Got a sky-blue one.  Just to brighten things up as we now head into summer.

If you enjoy cooking, and don't own one, I highly recommend it.  Get a real one though, not those lookalike things.  I got a Staub.  Very nice.  Built like a tank.  Not a Russian tank, hopefully.

************************************

Till next time!

1 comment:

  1. Withdrawing from the MA program sounds logical, for the reasons you described, particularly the one about doing this for fun. But I imagine it was still tough to do. Congratulations on your 3 A+ marks. All best!

    ReplyDelete

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.