Wednesday 10 February 2021

Taking stock of my undergraduate adventure

 At this point, folks, I am leaning towards going for the MA.  That means that once I finish this current degree in spring, my undergraduate adventure is over for the time being.  Unless I change my mind, of course.

Thinking back, this last three years as an undergraduate has been fun.  Overall, I have enjoyed my experience at UOttawa.  I really like the school, as a matter of fact.  Academically, it's been both fun and challenging.  I seriously didn't expect to work as hard as I did.  But that's good, no?  Professors, well, I've had two that I absolutely detest.  One in the current semester, no less.  At the same time, I've had some very good ones.  Two in particular I really love.  As for the others, they were either "fine" or "pretty good."  So, in three years, I've only had two that I really really absolutely detest.  Pretty good odds, I'd say.  I wonder how your own previous experience was like, how you feel about your profs, and so on.

And the folks in administration at UOttawa are by and large very pleasant to deal with.  The people at the Faculty of Arts (where my degree is from) are super friendly.  And beyond my own faculty, everyone I've dealt with, from parking permit to building maintenance, to librarians, IT people, campus security, they have all been great people to deal with.  What more can I ask for?

No wonder Alex Trebek liked his alma mater so much that he gave $10 MM to the school!

If I had that kind of money, I would do the same.

**************************

Enough of advertising for UOttawa.  I am just trying to find something positive to say in the middle of this fucking pandemic.  If you know the song "Alone Again, Naturally" you will know how I feel these days.  Many a times I have thought about the line about visiting a nearby tower.  If you don't know that song, well, Youtube it.  It's great.  And so fucking appropriate.

And that reminds me of the good old days when you had to pay to use the public toilets.  I remember what someone wrote on the wall of one of the stalls -- "Here I sit broken hearted.  Paid a dime, and only farted."

That is essentially the ethos of life these days...

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ed,
    Agree with you re. the MA. Could be an eye-opening/exciting next step in your journey.
    I appreciate what you write. Brings back memories, the song, the stalls, etc. Why did they do away with the fee?
    Take good care and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,
      Dare I guess who you are? The masked marauder? Haha. I love that song. The tune sounds like a happy song, but alas... No idea why they stopped charging. It's a good thing, I guess, so at least people won't be broken-hearted any more :)

      Delete

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.