Sunday 23 September 2018

TORNADOES HIT


The Ottawa/Gatineau area was hit by two tornadoes on Friday.  So far some 150,000 people are still without power.  Whole communities were destroyed, rendering thousands homeless in the blink of an eye.

I was very fortunate.  When the tornadoes hit, I was in my apartment working on a couple of papers, and didn't even realize the storm outside was of such mammoth proportions.  My area was lucky and didn't receive any of the extensive damages.

At moments like this, I am reminded of how lucky we are each day when we are unscathed.  I am okay not because of what I did.  It was not because of who I am.  I was plain lucky.  At a moment's notice, it could all change.  

We should be thankful for what we have, and enjoy it while it lasts.  And think of those who are less unfortunate.  They, too, are often just recipients of dumb luck (or misfortune).

 **********************

So I was reading some posts on a discussion page, when some people were trying to get together for a meeting (about a class).  Because of storm damage, the logistics were difficult.  One person remarked, "I hate this blackout."

Think of that.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.