Wednesday 19 September 2018

Taking the bus

There's a pretty efficient public transit system here in Ottawa.  The Light Rail, which was supposed to come onstream this November, is now pushed back to next year.  Regardless, the buses are plentiful and clean, and they do a really good job shipping people to and from their destinations.

I've taken the bus a few times in the last month.  The stops are typically every couple of blocks, so it's not hard to find one.  And each stop has a designated number.  If you text (or call) the bus scheduling number, and enter the stop number, they tell you when the next bus will arrive.  So you can plan ahead if you had marked down the number of the stop you want to use.  Pretty neat, eh?  And the cool thing is, the buses are generally right on time!

So anyway, it's good to get into air conditioning when it's hot outside.  Most of the time I just walk.  But last Saturday I was going to a play downtown, and I really didn't feel like walking there and back.  So, took the bus.  Ten minutes and I was there!  Same deal coming back.  Nice.

Some stops are designated for several lines.  So, for instance, a stop I was at the other day was for six different bus lines.  Result?  No line ups at all.  Instead, people just stand close to the stop, all looking out for the particular bus they are waiting for.  This creates chaos, no?  The saving grace, I guess, is that it's Canada, where people don't usually do the mob scene.  So when a bus arrives, people gather near the door, and patiently wait and board on a first come, first served basis.  Still, I can see how things can be when it's rush hour....

I love this bus pass I have as a student.  True, it's not really free.  It's covered by my university fees.  But it's also something I probably wouldn't get on my own.  So I am glad they do this.  Things might get interesting in the winter, though, when everyone is bundled up in six layers of winter coats and crap.  And all the melting snow and ice.  And salt.  We shall see.  

I do not look forward to my winter commutes to campus.  On the other hand, they could be rather interesting... 

Edit:  I was told (by my stupid son, no less) that I am absolutely not in touch with the real world.  Apparently, according to said off-spring, the text your arrival time stuff is standard feature on all bus systems...  OK, what the hell do I know?  They weren't when I used to take the bus!  Anyway, so, my bad.  I never professed to know EVERYTHING!  Just most everything.  :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.