Sunday 12 April 2020

A Long Walk Today

It's nice and warm today, so I decided to go for a long walk.  A bit over seven miles with my pack.  Towards the end my legs were on fire.  But hey, it was good for the soul.

Passed by some places today, some that I have never been to.  Thought I'd share them here.



This is the entrance to Rideau Hall, the official residence of the Governor General of Canada, i.e. the Queen's representative.  Normally part of it is open to the public at certain hours, but these are unusual times, and well, off limits now.  It's quite an impressive sight, actually, I am guessing maybe 100 acres.  If you should ever visit Ottawa, I would recommend a visit.


Outside Rideau Hall there's this very nice statue of QE II.  Younger of course.  Quite majestic, overlooking the Ottawa River and her domains.



Always wanted to come see this and pay my respects, but this is the first time I came by here.  Glad I made the super long walk today.  This is a monument commemorating the Canadian troops who defended Hong Kong in WW2.  Yeah yeah I know how the Communists insists Hong Kong was "always" part of China -- fucking lies -- but of course in WW2 they didn't lift a finger to help defend Hong Kong.  Canada answered the call, and sent almost 2,000 troops there.  Only to be killed or captured and endured four years of POW camps.

BTW, if you didn't know, that's partly how MY story began.  My mother was a Chinese spy who infiltrated the Japanese army, and helped supplied food and medicine to the Canadian POWs.  After the war, she met my father who was a resistance fighter.  And they got married.  And how I came to be....




Thank you, Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.