Thursday 13 June 2019

The absurdity of Group Work

I was going to take a class in International Relations.  Even registered for it.  Then I found out that there's a group project.  Screw that shit!  Dropped it pronto and took something else.

Did that previously.  I intend to postpone doing ANY group work for as long as I can.

Why group work anyway?

Your prof likes you to think that it's good for you.  Trains you to work in teams.  All that nonsense.  So just exactly how does your prof train you to work in a team, other than to require you to be in one?  Are you supposed to learn on your own?  What guidance is the prof providing, other thanou  to say something inane like "work together."

In reality, group work is no more than a way for your prof to get away with doing less work.  Instead of grading 30 papers, they grade five.  And get paid the same.  It's kind of like those "cook your own steak" places, where you do all the fucking work and pay the establishment the same amount.  What a rip off!

Next thing you know, they will want you to teach yourself and still pay tuition.  Wait, isn't that what profs do when they tell students to give a lecture on a chapter in the book?  I mean, who the fuck needs you then?  And yeah, that's what a lot of this fucking online courses are about too.  Fuckers just want to get paid for doing minimal work.

OK, I can see this group work shit in a class of 200.  Or even 60.  I mean, if you actually care about grading, that would take forever to do.  So, okay, it'd be hard not to have groups.  But then of course, in schools where such big classes are the norm, the profs also have a number of TAs who do the actual work (and get paid a pittance for it).  So even then, this group work thing really makes little sense.

Did I ever assign group work?  Yeah.  I admit it.  I was a lazy bastard sometimes.  But I didn't really do that as a matter of course, and not in courses that really mattered (like BA416, for those of you who remember). 

Did I tell you I hate group work?

Let's see for how long I can avoid it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chunski welcomes KIND comments. Just say nice things. Otherwise, I will find you and sit on you.